Monday, April 10, 2006

A Book About a Book

Recently, I had the opportunity to speak to a very bright individual about a subject he was very interested in - the human mind. I recommeded to him a book that has helped me immensely in life and answered so many questions I had about the human mind. The book, Dianetics, Modern Science of Mental Health has been a best-seller for over fifty years and has been read and used by millions of people around the world to help them lead happier lives. I went over some of the concepts presented in the book with him and had him give me examples of how this book could help him with his life. He clearly saw that this book could answer some questions he had for quite some time. I typically ask people to pay me for the book (less than $10) because I've found that people will act on things more quickly if they have an investment in it.

I was floored when he told me he was going to wait. This guy had just been jumping out of his chair with excitement at the prospect of finally handling some "issues" he has had for a long time. I asked him why he didn't want to buy it now and he told me, "I want to do some research on the book and see what is written about it first." I couldn't believe me ears. I told him to read the book and formulate his own opinion about it rather than look at opinions of others before he could read it. He couldn't make up his own mind on a subject - he had to have opinions of strangers help him decide.

I have learned in Scientology to think for myself and not depend on others, especially "the media," to help me formulate opinions about things. If I want to learn about a subject, I go right to the source, the horse's mouth, if you will, to learn about that subject. If I want to learn about Judaism, for instance, would I go to the teachings of the Torah and the Talmud or would I go ask a Christian or, even more absurd, a Nazi to tell me what Judaism is all about? If I wanted to get some outside source material, would I go to scholarly source or a person who was asked to leave his Synagogue for causing trouble amongst the members of the congregation? In the case of the Scientology Religion, if an outside source was needed, I might point them in the direction of a scholarly, unbiased treatise on the religion, such as the Center for Studies on New Religions.

As a Scientololgy Volunteer Minister, one of the assists I give people helps them find outpoints in various sources, such as newspaper and magazine articles. Once learned, it can be a great tool for challenging the validity of so much of the written word today. It is certainly a beginning of helping someone learn to think for themselves.